Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Making the Beds


With some sunny weather finally upon us, we were able to get to work constructing the garden beds today.

We had such a great location for our garden last year, but were in need of a much sunnier spot this year as some of our beautiful trees at the back of our property are growing too tall to allow the sun to bathe the garden as much as it requires.

So Kevin, along with some little helpers...
who come along with their own tools by the way, set to work to create several new garden beds to become home to our 2012 seedlings.

A great day, complete with lots of tools, sawdust, dirt, delicious food, and even a few minor boo-boo's, was had by all.


Looking forward to filling these over the next few weeks!  Hoping your weekend was wonderful.

3 comments:

gale said...

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you have to buy the dirt to fill those? I keep toying with the idea of raised beds, because our sandy ground isn't great for growing veggies, but I am sure my dh will be totally against the idea of buying that much dirt (he's never happy about me buying potting soil for my house plants).

Jennifer Schmidt said...

Hi Gale :) Unless you have compost or good soil to pull from in another area of your yard, then you would have to buys some. We've created a compost bin but things haven't decomposed enough for us to use it in our gardens this year so we'll be buying it too. I'm calling our local garden center today to have a truckload delivered. If you're going to be investing time and money into getting a vegetable garden started, you definitely want to make sure that you're providing your plants with really good rich soil, such an important component. Best of luck with the hubby!

Heather said...

Love the raised beds! I am trying to convince my hubby that we need to build some boxes around my current beds...I just think it would look nicer and more organized :-)